Church of Santa María
The Ruins of Santa Maria, was the most important monument of the Adelantado. Although the date of its construction is not known exactly, it seems almost certain that it was carried out in the 16th century. His style is Renaissance and quite possibly its author is Andrés de Vandelvira, since many of his elements can be recognized in well-known temples of his authorship located in Úbeda. The cover of the facade that looks towards the street of La Hoz is an almost exact replica of the one that can be admired in the Church of San Miguel de Jaén.
As for who ordered its construction, it is doubted whether the offer was paid by the Episcopal Church of Toledo or by the Marquises of Camarasa, who were advanced at that time.
It is built on the Cerezuelo River, which forced it to be channeled previously, which enters a large vault under the main altar, crossing the entire church, to continue its course under the Plaza de Santa María. It is very likely that the temple did not come to a complete conclusion and that the serious damage caused by the terrible storm and flood of 1694 contributed to further hinder the chances of ending it.
The church in its origin, of floor plan, Ruins of Santa Maria. Year 1,603 with three ships that present an abside in the head. A dome rises above the cruise. In 1694 (June 2), the flood that destroyed part of the temple takes place. A storm overflowed the waters of the Cerezuelo River, which collapsed the vaults that pass beneath it and made it act as a dam. The flood shattered the altarpieces, and dragging out of the sacred place, images, rich ornaments.
It is possible to still appreciate some features of his magnificent Renaissance trace:
– The splendid vault taken from inside the tower, in the chapel of San Cristobalón.
– The vault of casetones on the apse and main altar.
– The cover of the north facade, open towards the Plaza de Santa María.
– The cover of the southwest or side facade, with a semicircular arch and composite order.
– Other elements are the sacristy chapel, provided with a solid spiral staircase and the balanced solution of walls and openings.
During the War of Independence, Bullfight in the Plaza de Santa María. Year 1903 was set on fire, and it was during the Civil War that it acquired the appearance it currently presents.
In the seventies and eighties it was used as an auditorium for concerts and theatrical performances, offering a magnificent setting.
During the years 2009, 2010 underwent a deep restoration in which its entire structure was fixed, a deep cleaning of the stone was carried out and a lighting project was developed both inside and outside the monument.
Currently the Cazorla City Council has set the MUNICIPAL INFORMATION AND TOURISM OFFICE AND MULTIPURPOSE SPACE, where concerts and performances are held.
You can see the location of this Monument in Callejero de Cazorla by pressing here.